Do you live in an area with high humidity, and have a basement that is typically damp during the year? If so, you may have a problem with black mold growth in your home. You'll need to know how to deal with this problem and get rid of the mold for good.
Black Mold Identification
It's possible that black mold is hiding in a dark space of your home that does not get much daylight. It is worth checking in places such as closets and cabinets since that is where moisture reaches but the sunlight does not. It's even possible for mold to grow on walls behind furniture that isn't moved.
You can identify the mold by its black color and slimy texture. There may even be something furry growing on top of the mold as well. The mold can have a strong musty odor, which may be present in the entire room and other parts of your home.
Black Mold Cleaning Safety
Safety is important when dealing with black mold. You'll want to use a respirator to ensure that you are not breathing in any dangerous particles when trying to clean up the mold. These can easily float in the air when the mold is disturbed.
Make sure that you've closed off ductwork going into the room and shut down your HVAC system. You do not want those particles of mold finding their way into a return air vent and traveling to other rooms of your house. It even helps to block off the room with plastic so that mold cannot travel to other rooms of the house.
Use a fan to help pull air out of the room and to the outside of your home. Place a box fan in a window when possible to do so.
Black Mold Removal
If the mold is dry, you can actually spray it with water to make it easier to remove. The water also helps prevent mold spores from reaching the air. You'll want to cover the mold with a bleach cleaning solution to kill the mold growth. If something is covered with mold and cannot be cleaned, make sure to place it in a sealed bag when you dispose of it.
Work with a professional in your area if you are in need of mold removal services. It's the best way to ensure that you stay safe and the mold is removed for good.Share