Adding new drapes to your home can be costly, especially when you want to change them with your decor every so often. Adding new drapes with a trendier look may not be in your budget, but you can have trendy drapes without breaking the bank. You can paint and stencil your own drapes yourself, with just a few tools and some paint. See below for instructions on how to paint your own drapes:
Here's What You'll Need:
- Latex Paint (your color of choice)
- Foam Roller
- Painter's Tape
- Curtains Or Drop Cloth (plain)
- Take your curtains or drop cloth fabric cut to size, and lay your first panel in a large area. You can use your floor or a makeshift table, but you will need a large space. You may want to lay down plastic beneath your curtains, just in case the paint bleeds through your fabric.
- Iron your fabric or curtain panel prior to painting it, so you have a nice even space to paint.
- Next, tape your stencil onto your fabric, wherever you want to stencil. If you are painting simple stripes, figure out where you want your stripes and how you want them spaced, then apply your painter's tape. You can tape your fabric down to your plastic to help hold the fabric in place.
- Dip your foam roller into your paint and roll off any excess. Begin painting your stencil on your fabric. You may have to use several coats of paint each time you move the stencil, in order to achieve the color you are looking for.
- Carefully move your stencil over your fabric to get the pattern all over your panel.
- When you are finished, allow the paint to dry completely before you try to hang your panels.
In order to soften the paint you are using, so your curtains don't feel stiff or rough to the touch, you can add fabric touch to your paint. It isn't necessary to use, but if you are worried about your curtains feeling too rough, you can add it into your paint. You can find fabric touch additive at most paint and craft stores. Follow the manufacturer directions on how much to add to your paint.
Stenciling your own curtains takes time and effort, but the end result will look great. Painting your own curtains allows you to get the look you are going for, without having to spend a lot of money in order to achieve that look. To learn more, contact a company like Park City Blind & Design with any questions you have.Share